Above is a pic of Lt. Colonel James Galbraith, Regimental Colour in hand, alongside Bobbie the regimental dog and some of the other "Last Eleven" survivors of the 66th (Berkshire) Regiment, making their last stand in one of the walled gardens just South of Khig village, a few miles West of the Afghan town of Maiwand.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Cemetery in action

We used the Afghan tribal cemetery in a big game a few months back, while my Maiwand brother-in-miniature-arms Nick Stern was visiting from Northern California. He and my son teamed up as the Anglo-Indians against me as the Afghans.

I never got around to posting an Battle Report on the game (maybe because it had nothing to do with Maiwand!) but it was hard-fought and very enjoyable game and the cemetery featured in my previous post played a key role as the first piece of terrain the Anglo-Indians had to cross in order to reach their objectives. I hid two Afghan tribal units in it and it quickly turned into a veritable hornet's nest of death, destruction and delay for the Brits. I remember some talk about how it was the British equivalent of what the "Anthill" was to the French in PATHS OF GLORY.

At some point maybe I'll post a full-fledged Battle Report, but for now, enjoy these pics from the which all feature the cemetery holding its own against strenuous attack...

















2 comments:

  1. Third time I have went back to this today great piece well done again.

    best wishes
    Willie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for letting me know, Willie!

    ReplyDelete