Above is a pic of Lt. Colonel James Galbraith, Regimental Colour in hand, alongside Bobbie the regimental dog and some of the other "Last Eleven" survivors of the 66th (Berkshire) Regiment, making their last stand in one of the walled gardens just South of Khig village, a few miles West of the Afghan town of Maiwand.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

CONVERSIONS III

Three Afghan mounted generals, converted from 2 Foundry Crimean War mounted British Generals from their "Lord Raglan & staff" pack, shown here:








(CLICK on images to visit Foundry site pages where these packs are for sale --
as usual with Foundry, prepare for sticker shock!)

And a Turkish mounted General from their "British and Allied Officers" pack, shown here:





First up is the Turk, turned into a Turcoman/Herati commander...


I also covered up the old style pistol holsters on his horse...



Here's a pic of all 3 finished Afghan Generals -- the Turcoman from above, one wearing an Afghan regular army fur (or felt) hat and one wearing a turban...


Green model putty was used to scratch-build the turban...


Below is the source for the open hand I used on the Afghan General with the fur hat. I didn't have exactly what I needed on hand (no pun intended!), so I visited my FLGS -- The Last Grenadier, of Burbank, CA -- and picked through some loose figures they had for sale in the odds-&-ends box and found this one, which I thought at first was a wounded French Napoleonic infantryman but then realized was perhaps a Mexican-American War Mexican. Either way, he met my requirements perfectly...


The fur hat Afghan General with arm bent up and new hand attached...


Source figure for above conversion. I felt compelled to mess with his right arm with the pointing finger, since that's the exact sculpt on the Foundry mtd. Afghan Sirdar/Commander figure in brass helmet, that I already have...


British Crimean general with his hat trimmed down and covered up with model putty to become a turban -- I think his Crimean-era full beard works well...


Below is the Turcoman/Herati General, converted by using putty to turn his fez into a Turcoman fur hat...



No comments:

Post a Comment